Tuesday, April 20, 2010

LETTERS TO AUSTIN CALEB TURPIN

These letters are being posted on my Cherry Walk blog in the hopes that family historians who are researching the people mentioned in these letters will find them through internet searches.

Bleu

From the collection of Carl J. Turpin housed at the Western History Collection at the Monet Library, University of Oklahoma, Norman, Oklahoma.

I will preface Zenophine’s and Ellmandia's letters with this information: My great grand uncle, Carl Julian Turpin, was a railroad man. He also was vice president and treasurer of the Capitol Federal Savings and Loan Association in Oklahoma City. He, along with two other men, built a short line railroad through the panhandle of Oklahoma. There is a town named after him in Beaver County, Oklahoma. The town's name is Turpin. Uncle Carl died first and his wife left all their papers to the Western History Collections at the University of Oklahoma in Norman. I have visited the collection three times.

In the first file of the first box of the collection (the collection is 3 cubic feet in length) was this letter from Zenophine Kennerly Farrington Perry, age 58, to 23 year old Austin Caleb Turpin, a brother of Carl Julian Turpin's and Zenophine's nephew. The letter reads as follows:

Salisbury
May 26, 1888

Dear Austin,

I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your very unexpected letter and how glad it made me to know you were thinking of me. You and Willie (William Upshur Turpin, Austin's brother) both wrote to me long ago and I intended to answer your letter hoping to hear directly from you again. But my du ties were so laborious with my very poor health and little or no help that I rarely ever found time to write and after awhile the letters were misplaced and I did not know where to direct to. I asked some of the family for directions. They failed or forgot to tell me so it went on just so.

I have felt sorry that we did not sometimes correspond for the next best thing in this life to seeing one's friends and talking with them is to communicate with them by writing, it keeps up affection between them. It is a great comfort to those who love each other.

And I, dear Austin, have sadly the need of all the comfort I can obtain in this life for I am all alone, alone, and O, so lonely. But God has been my refuge. Nothing but my trust in His grace and my own strong will has kept me going through all the sorrows, visitudes (sic), and tryals (sic) I have indured (sic) and still suffer. Sometimes I feel that I have no one in the wide world to care anything for me yet I am told that I have many friends and sympathizers in this place but I have learned to know that such friends don't put themselves to much trouble for others except they have something to make by it themselves. The world generally is selfish and I have never learned to know it so well as I have the last three years.

I am sure that you have heard that Mr. Perry and I have separated. It was a great mistake I made as we all make mistakes sooner or later. In my lonely destitute condition, with no male relative to look up to or protect and assist me in my way, I thought at least to find a protector, but I only got into other troubles and my sufferings have been so intense that I had to rid myself of them or go mad. I could not endure more, being all ready broken down with sorrow.
I will say no more of myself for I have been writing of myself altogether. Yet I am not afraid of tiring you. You won't scarcely know Salisbury now at least the business part of the Town or City as they now term it. The stores are all built with glass fronts, the streets widened and everyone seems to vie with each other in trying to excell both in stores and dwelling houses. Some of the dwellings are perfect palaces. The Episcopal Church which was destroyed is again built of brick, the inside finished with different colors brick, blue, red and cream color, but it is not yet completed for the want of funds, but finished sufficiently to hold services in since Christmas. We have some cards distributed among some of the members of the church to collect from ther (sic) friends abroad. I have one with me I will enclose to you and see if you can get a little for us. Everyone puts their name on one line with amount given if only one dollar. I have been asked to call on my friends in the Cities and elsewhere but have not done so. If you are a mind to call on your acquaintances and help us a little if ever so small we will be glad of it. The Northern Methodist have completed their Church, a large stone one, it is a splendid edifice, the finest and most expensive Church in Town. They dedicated it last Sunday. There were crowds of people in town to attend the dedication and see the building. William Jackson contributed greatly towards it. He told them to do what they could and he would do the balance. Tis ???? it was built to excell the Southern Methodists' church, a very pretty one which was built four years ago when thers (sic) was burned. Li Sue J. (??) is a member of the S. M. May (Austin's sister and Zenophine's niece) and her husband (Thomas B. Moore) came up for the dedication but I did not see them; they dined elsewhere. She did not tell me of her marage (sic - marriage) til the day before, I received a letter. Your mother (Elmanda Kennerly Turpin, Zenophine's sister and Austin's mother) writes me she seems to be perfectly happy. Camden nor Newtown were not burned by the fire. I escaped that loss for my old furniture from my old home that is more precious to me than eligant (sic) new would have been a loss not to be replaced.

I still live in Camden.

I am glad that Willie (William Upshur Turpin, Zenophine's nephew and Austin's brother) is so happily married. I hope he will do well. Give my love to him and Carl (Carl Julian Turpin, Austin's brother and Zenophine's nephew) when you write to them. Dear Carl, I miss him, he would come to see me sometimes. Write again, Austin, I will always be glad to hear from you.

From your loving Aunt
Zenophine

At the top of the first page of her letter, written vertically on top of the horizontal text is this:

I forgot that you inquired for Willie Fulton. He is now in Wilmington, Del. He came here a few months ago and got a situation in the P.O., but left when he was offered the other place. John F. has returned and settled here and his sisters live with him. He is just recovering from a severe illness; is practicing medicine and is to be maried (sic) before long. When you write again, give me your full directions. I fear I will not . . .

* * * * *

This letter was discovered on my second visit to the Carl Julian Turpin collection. It was written by my paternal great great grandmother Ellmandia Kennerly Turpin to her son, Austin Caleb Turpin. Bleu

Quantico
Sept. 19th, 1888

My dear Austin,

Your letter, with contents reached me night before last and your present last night. I can’t express the thanks I feel. You know I prized it when I shed tears as I always do for joy as well as sorrow to know you thought so much for me. So thoughtful even for a spool of cotton and trimmings. Yes, the buttons suit nicely and the dress is beautiful. Except (sic - accept) many thanks. I do appreciate it very much, but above all, to know You sent it to me so far. I will have it made up nicely and there is another (?) to alter and make over with for another season which will make it last me so much longer. I was very impatient for mail to arrive the day after receiving your letter. “Woman’s curiosity” you know and will say I would have written last night. Ginnie and Levin Gale (Note: Levin Gale was the brother of Clara Gale Turpin who was married to John Wesley Turpin, brother of Thomas James Turpin. An article in the 30 Apr 1886 issue of the Baltimore Sun states that he was involved with the development of the Nanticoke and Wicomico Railroad; in 1885 Levin Gale was elected Register of Wills for Wicomico County, MD. He appointed Joseph L. Bailey his assistant. Joseph L. Bailey was the judge whom Carl Julian Turpin visited in December 1927. Ginnie, Levin’s wife, was Virginia A. L. Rider Gale. Bleu) were here and prevented me. Tis now ten p.m. The room is full of girls talking so much I fear I shall not finish my letters. Since writing to you I have been very sick, but only in bed for a few days. Yet I know my sickness is as much from overwork as anything. We have had company, first one then another since my return from Fairmount cooking in this extremely hot weather, putting up fruit, with all other housework is the hardest work I ever did in my life because I am not strong enough to really do anything and have not had Clif’s (Note: Clif is Walter Clifton Turpin, son of Thomas James Turpin and Ellmandia Kennerly Turpin. Bleu) assistance as usual. He is working in the caning (sic-canning) house and makes 30 cents per day. He is so ambitious. I do all I can to help him. As they will close in two weeks he will not attend school the first week as school begins Monday next. There are four canning factorys (sic): Jones & Bro on Wes Disharoon’s road, Geo Bounds by his house, Leo Gordy at the Cherry Walk, Thad Langsdale on the river. Everybody raised tomatoes this year. About one hundred loads pass here daily, besides other roads. All everything human from three years old upward are at work in some branch of this business, it is impossible to hire a woman or girl. Farmers are giving from 75 cents to 1.00 per day for hands to take down their fodder which is mildewing in the fields. We have had nearly three weeks of rainy weather, don’t think I ever saw the like of it.

We have not rented for another year yet. There is no house in town to rent. Mrs. Ker says she is coming here, did not tell us so. We do not want to remain here if we can get another smaller and comfortable. In the first place this is very unhealthy, again we cannot pay the rent though the garden here is really worth to us $25.00 which makes up for a house we would otherwise pay $40 or $50 for.

Victor (Note: brother to Austin and son of Thomas James Turpin and Ellmandia Kennerly Turpin. Bleu) too has been at work. You never saw a boy grow as fast as he does. He is constituted just like Willie. His lips give him much trouble, is now taking “Forbes Solution.”

I have not written a letter since to you last. I don’t know what Carl and Willie are thinking of me. I do not have an opportunity. I often sit up sewing till 12 pm. May (Note: May Thomas Turpin Moore, daughter of Thomas James Turpin and Ellmandia Kennerly Turpin. Bleu) had a letter from Ashby last night. He says times are awful dull there. Jennie Turpin (Note: I have not figured out who Jennie is yet. Bleu) has been here nearly two weeks. Went down to Wesley’s (Note: I believe Wesley is a reference to John Wesley Turpin, Thomas James Turpin’s brother. Bleu) today. Will return tomorrow.

Levin and Ginnie Gale spent the evening yesterday. Today Emily Donehs(?) and husband took dinner with us. I opened a bushel of oysters myself this evening. Wish you had them to enjoy. We have been living high on trout and oysters for a week past. When it gets colder I don’t expect they will bring any up as they command high price at the Shore.

Sister (Note: May Thomas Turpin Moore, Ellmandia’s and Thomas James Turpin's daughter. Bleu) has had a surge of company. Just as one or two leaves others come. She and the cook are quite broken down. First season makes it hard now on housekeepers, particular those who have not servants. Lilla Bounds is having it quite lively -- a housefull [sic] every night of a certain Saturday. She is wearing a diamond ring Lee Taylor borrowed from a lady in Philadelphia costing $150.00. She tells it is her ingagement [sic] ring. John Dorman is one of her admirers now. By the way, Lee Taylor has spent nearly all his property [sic] reports say.

Mr. Perry and Aunt Phine are living together again. (Note: “Phine” is Zenophine Kennerly Farrington Perry, Ellmandia’s sister. In a letter to Austin written earlier in 1888, Zenophine had told him that she and Mr. Perry had separated. Zenophine married George Perry five years after John Wesley Turpin, a brother of Ellmandia’s husband, Thomas James Turpin, killed her husband, William H. Farrington in a dispute over livestock crossing onto neighboring properties. Bleu)

Sharlotte Rider was here today. She is in much trouble. Frank died one week and Noah the next. She is the finest looking negro I ever saw. Jennie and I spent yesterday evening or rather afternoon with Aunt Elizabeth. Aunt May, Fanny and Lizzie all send love. Always inquire for you and many others.

I want you to send me Gertrude’s (Note: Gertrude is Iva Gertrude Lawry, the wife of Austin Caleb Turpin. Bleu) picture to see. I will return it. I think of you very, very often, but never sleep till I have returned thanks to our Father for his care and blessings bestowed upon you, and entreat a continuance of the same, and that we all may meet again in the flesh, if it is his will, if not, that we may meet in the Spirit Land where there is no more parting. Did I answer your long and confidential letter? Really I don’t know. Truly I hope all things will work together for the best.

Carl (Carl Julian Turpin was a son of Thomas James Turpin and Ellmandia Kennerly Turpin; brother to Austin Caleb Turpin. Bleu) does not seem to like Ettie (Note: Henrietta Elledge Turpin, the wife of William Upshur Turpin. Bleu). He has told me lotts [sic] but I always tell him never to notice anything or never to speak in any way unkindly. He said in his last (letter) she charged him 20 cents for sewing up a little slit in his shirt sleeve and again 10 cents for 2 buttons on. That is unkind.

I do comment on her to him but say to him …well never mind, he will soon be able to go somewhere else if he likes and this must stimulate him to study the harder. Ashby (Note: Ashby is the son of Thomas James Turpin and Ellmandia Kennerly Turpin; brother to Austin Caleb Turpin. Bleu) thinks it terrible Carl pays board. I do not yet there are things Willie could change privately if he wished.

“Alls well that ends well.” My hand is swelling. I will close. Guess you are tired out with this scroll.

Now let me thank you again for my dress, it come just in time when we appreciate such things best.

Your truly loving
Mother

No comments:

Post a Comment